Articles with the tag: Places


Iron in Leamington – Coal-hole Covers

Iron in Leamington – Coal-hole Covers

There are many artefacts made of iron in Leamington ranging from balconies and street railings to covers in the pavements. This page illustrates some of the coal-hole covers which can be found in the footpaths; they allowed coal to be delivered directly to houses into...
Architects Who Built Leamington

Architects Who Built Leamington

Following  the date when  the village of simple cottages named Leamington Priors quickly morphed into a burgeoning town, people have been building in Royal Leamington Spa for over 200 years. Many of the run-of-the-mill homes of the early nineteenth century were...
Thorburns Ltd

Thorburns Ltd

Now based in Whiteheads Court, Thorburns is Leamington’s oldest independent male outfitters, supplying traditional and modern menswear for all ages.  The business was founded by an ambitious young draper and tailor from Scotland, James Thorburn, in 1880. He opened his...
Our Walks Programme for 2019

Our Walks Programme for 2019

  Celebrating a very successful year. Leamington History Group and Leamington Town Council have to announce that the free Guided Walks programme for 2019 has now ended; but with a Celebration.   The Celebration On 14th November the Mayor, Bill Gifford,...
Gallery of Coats of Arms

Gallery of Coats of Arms

Here is a Gallery of images relating to the history of Leamington’s coat of arms or other coats of arms which are on view in Royal Leamington Spa. More information about the heraldry of the town is available. Arms ver10 MOD12Arms of Leamington Jewel MOD12...
Streets of Leamington, Introduction

Streets of Leamington, Introduction

(CLICK HERE for The List of Streets) Before 1800 Leamington Priors was a village of about 200 people to the south of the River Leam. The land to the north-east of the river was called Newbold Comyn and was owned by the Willes family; to the north-west the land was...