The Streets of Leamington beginning with D, E, F or G
Note. A typical entry lists the date of the street, the number of buildings or addresses, the origin of the name and finally the location of the street. Please refer to the page entitled Streets of Leamington for more information.
The Streets of Leamington beginning with D
Dale Street. About 1830. 129 addresses. James Dale was a landowner in the area who died in 1851. South from Warwick Street to an end-on connection with Adelaide Road. Nos 1 to 27 (odds) and 31 to 39 (odds) are Listed Grade II. No 29 was listed but was demolished anyway. The Methodist Chapel and schoolroom were built in 1870 to replace the chapel in Portland Street. The Dale Street chapel was demolished and replaced in 1971.
Danesbury Crescent. Before 1967. 8 addresses. Origin unknown; possibly for a park in Welwyn. The street is a cul-de-sac at both ends and the northerly access to the street is from Gainsborough Drive by Springwell Road, Sydenham.
Davidson Avenue. Before 1973. 34 addresses. Oswald Rae Davidson, Mayor 1951-1952. Off Radford Road; on the site of Warneford Hospital.
Davis Close. About 1986. 6 addresses. Probably named for Mayor Valerie Davis, 1986-1987, although two other Davises have also been mayor. Off Avonlea Rise.
Delamere Way. About 1967. 11 addresses. Forest in Cheshire. Off Parklands Avenue.
Dell House. 1958. 6 flats. Named for The Dell further north along the course of Bins Brook. New Brook Street.
Denby Close. 1956. 42 addresses. Named for Denby House which was the home of John Williams, the first owner of the Regent Hotel. Denby is believed to have been the maiden name of Mrs Williams. The house was just to the east of the site of the Town Hall; The library was moved from the house in 1885 and it was demolished soon afterwards. Off Mason Avenue.
Denville Road. 1971. 7 addresses. Unknown; Denville Hall in Northwood, Hillingdon is a home for those retired from theatrical professions. Off Dereham Court.
Dereham Court. 1971. 28 addresses. Unknown; Dereham is a town in Norfolk. Off Lillington Avenue.
Derwent Close. 1958. 10 addresses. One of several streets in the area named for the Lake District. Off Coniston Road.
Dickins Place. Before 1852. About 3 houses. A small court probably named for the owner; possibly County Councillor Dickins in 1895. Off Kenilworth Street. Demolished 1950s.
Dickins Yard. Before 1899. Possibly a similar story to Dickins Place. Renamed Wimbourne Place in 1936. Off Kenilworth Street. Demolished 1950s.
Dormer Place. Possibly 1810; recorded as The Mall in 1815 and either the street or the footpath alongside was known as The Promenade from about 1838 to 1870. 40 addresses. Lord and Lady Dormer, visitors to town. Alongside the north side of Pump Room Gardens. Site of St Peter’s Roman Catholic Church built in 1864; the tower was added in 1877; the small spire was known as the pineapple. The church was badly damaged by a fire in 1883.
Drummond Street. About 1830. About 3 houses. Unknown origin; there is a Drummond Castle in Perthshire. Off Court Street. Housing demolished about 1952.
Dudley Green. 1947. 30 addresses. Possibly named either for the town in West Midlands or Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick. Off Buckley Road.
Dugdale Court. Before 1973. 33 addresses. Probably named for Sir William Dugdale (1605-1686), author of local histories. Brunswick Street.
Duke Street. Building was taking place in 1861. 24 addresses. One of several streets named for male noble titles in the area. Off Earl Street.
The Streets of Leamington beginning with E
Eagle Street. Before 1873. 53 addresses. Named for Eagle Foundry founded about 1834 in nearby Clarence Street; later Flavel’s factory; Eagle was a name which was frequently used for foundries; over a dozen have been located in England alone. Off Aylesford Street.
Earl Street. About 1869. 5 addresses. One of several streets named for Royal and Noble Titles in the area. Off Queen Street.
East Dene. 1954. 26 addresses. A dene is a steep wooded vale or valley. Off Haddon Road.
East Grove. 1868. 27 addresses. To the east of Grove Place. Off Aylesford Street.
Eastfield Road. 1851. 34 addresses. Mews Road to Newbold Terrace East. Houses built after 1953. Probably simply refers to a field to the east of the town. The name before about 1952 was as an eastern extension of Rosefield Street. Off Willes Road.
Eastnor Grove. 1838. 12 addresses. Initially named Eastnor Street; named for Viscount Eastnor. Off Radford Road.
Eastnor Terrace 01. 1838. About 12 houses completed. Named for Viscount Eastnor. Old Warwick Road; the terrace was never completed and was demolished for the building of Leamington Station about 1851.
Eastnor Terrace 02. 1847. 10 houses. Viscount Eastnor. Name used until about 1870 for Nos 1 to 19 (odds) Tachbrook Road; some reports state that bricks from the first Eastnor Terrace (01) were reused to build this terrace.
Eastwood Close. About 1970 to 1975. 14 addresses. Unknown origin; probably a reference to a wood on this eastern side of the town; also a coal mining area in Nottinghamshire. Off Danesbury Crescent, Sydenham.
Eaton Close. About 1986. 8 addresses. Unknown origin; Eaton Square in London has recently the most expensive place to live in the UK. Off Avonlea Rise.
Eden Court. 1960. 39 flats. Sir Anthony Eden, local MP, later Lord Avon, who declared the building open. The Crest.
Edinburgh Crescent. 1947. 24 addresses. Scottish capital city. Off Kingsway.
Edmondscote Road. 1948. 77 addresses. Named for nearby Edmondscote Manor, nowadays headquarters of Guide Dogs for the Blind. Off Princes Drive. Access to a athletics track.
Edward Street. 1909. 18 addresses. Probably King Edward VII. Off Old Milverton Road.
Elan Close. Before 1972. 17 addresses. Site of reservoir in Wales. Off Valley Road.
Elisabeth Court. About 2002. 8 flats. Unknown origin. Off Beaconsfield Street.
Elizabeth Mews. About 2002. 5 addresses. Queen Elizabeth II. Off Wallsgrove Close.
Elizabeth Road. 1947. 44 addresses. Princess Elizabeth. Off Kingsway.
Elliston Grove. About 1978 to 1982. 24 addresses. Probably named for William Gore Elliston who built the Parthenon about 1821. Off Bisset Crescent, Sydenham.
Elm Bank Close. 1955. 28 addresses. Elm Bank was the name of a house on the site dating from before 1861. About 1953 it was ear-marked as the site for the fire station and houses for firemen but they were never built; however, houses for firemen were built in Park Road. Off Lillington Road.
Elm Road. 1904. Mainly a mews road for Vicarage Road; only one house address. Probably named local trees which were common in the area before Dutch Elm Disease from about 1970 until mostly killed by 1980. Off Cubbington Road.
Elton Close. 1955. 28 addresses. Unknown origin; Elton is a ditrict of Huntingdon. Off Wellington Road.
Ely Place. 1851. Unknown origin, city in Cambridgeshire. Off Binswood Avenue.
Emerald Way. 1996. 16 addresses. Name was suggested by the builder for development on the site of Henry Griffiths jewel factory. Off Queensway.
Emmott Drive. About 1978 to 1982. 33 addresses. Willie Emmott was one the three founders of Automotive Products/Lockheed in Leamington in 1920, known as the Three Musketeers. Off Chesterton Drive, Sydenham.
Emperor Boulevard. About 1998 to 2002. 23 addresses. Named for the butterfly, the scarlet emperor. Off St Fremund Way. This street continues to the south into Whitnash.
Endsleigh Gardens. About 1968 to 1970. 21 addresses. Origin Unknown; possibly named for Endsleigh Gardens in London which was the southern part of Euston Square, famed for the site of murders. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.
England Crescent. 1946. 26 addresses. Mayor K R England, 1920. Off Bury Road.
Ennerdale Close. 1964. 12 addresses. One of several streets in the area named for the Lake District. Off Borrowdale Road.
Enright Close. 1996. 11 addresses. Dennis Joseph Enright was an author, poet and old boy of Clapham Terrace School and Leamington College. Off Strachey Avenue.
Epping Way. 1963. 10 addresses. A name of a forest in Essex. Off Parklands Avenue.
Epsom Road. 1934. 21 addresses. Named for the racecourse; built on Stud Farm which was owned by Sidney McGregor and used for training racehorses. Off Cubbington Road.
Euston Place. 1832. 20 addresses. Earl of Euston, son of Duke of Grafton, frequent visitor to town. Off Newbold Terrace, parallel to the Parade. Rebuilt in 1839 after a fire.
Euston Square. Before 1973. Origin see Euston Place. Off Rosefield Place rear of Euston Place. No longer exists after the building on the site of the Justice Centre facing Newbold Terrace.
Evelyn Place. 1887. 4 addresses. Unknown origin. Nos 46 to 52 Tachbrook Road.
Exmoor Drive. 1963. 15 addresses. A geographical area and National Park in Devon. Off Parklands Avenue.
The Streets of Leamington beginning with F
Fairhurst Drive. 1991. 13 houses. Origin Unknown; place near Wigan. Off Fryer Avenue.
Fairlawn Close. 1886. 35 addresses. Origin unknown, area in Barnet, London. Off Rugby Road.
Fairview Place. Before 1877. Origin unknown, generic name. Off Kenilworth Street. Court demolished DATE
Fallow Hill. 1970. 125 addresses including houses and flats. A field name in the area in 1665. Off Sydenham Drive.
Farley Street. 1838. 17 houses. Origin unknown; Farley is in Wiltshire and Farley Hill in Bedfordshire. Off Radford Road.
Farm Lane. Early name for Farm Road, Lillington (see below). 23 houses. Leads to Manor Farm, Lillington. Off Lime Avenue.
Farm Road. Later name for Farm Lane. 23 houses. Before 1885. Leads to Manor Farm, Lillington. Off Avenue.
Farm Terrace. 1888. Name sometimes used for Farm View (see below). Situated on farmland, either Sydenham Farm or Rushmore Farm. South end of Clapham Terrace.
Farm View. 1888. Situated on farmland, either Sydenham Farm or Rushmore Farm. South end of Clapham Terrace.
Farriers Yard. DATE. Probably the base for farrier. One property in Swan Street. Not found recently.
Featherstone Court. Before 1973. Possibly Mayor Fetherston-Dilke 1945-46 but different spelling; or a place near Pontefract well known for a Rugby League football team and also place in Staffordshire. Tachbrook Road. Location uncertain, but possibly demolished to build Sayer Court.
Fell Grove. 1982. 11 houses. John Fell was the builder of the Town Hall and other buildings and was also Mayor in 1887 and 1889. Off Wackrill Drive, Lillington.
Felmore Grove. About 1968 to 1970. 12 houses. Sometimes spelt with two ‘l’s. Origin unknown; Felmore is a place in Essex. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.
Fernhill Drive. Street and modern houses built in1950. 23 houses. Origin unknown; place name near Bury. Off Upper Holly Walk. Part of the street occupies the site of Newbold Comyn House. Includes two houses dated 1891 and 1903
Field Close. Noted but not located.
Finings Court. 1984. 20 homes. Named for part of the beer brewing process. On site of the old brewery, The Maltings, Lillington Avenue.
Firshill Drive. A name proposed by a builder in Old Milverton Road in 1995, never built.
Flavel Crescent. 1931. 16 homes. Probably named for Sidney Flavel junior, Mayor on six occasions from 1883. Off Bury Road.
Forfield Place. 1838. 35 houses. Origin unknown; no place name found. Off Radford Road.
Foxdale Walk. About 1970 to 1975. 12 houses. A rural sounding name; place name in the Isle of Man. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.
Foy Place. Before 1840. Origin unknown; place name in Herefordshire. Off Lansdowne Street. Demolished DATE
Frances Havergal Close. 1997. 85 addresses. Frances Havergal was local author (1847-1879). Blue plaque at 43 Binswood Avenue. Street on the site of the old gas works, Ranelagh Terrace.
Frank Whittle Gardens (Sir). 2012. 6 homes. Inventor of the jet engine, at school at Leamington College about 1927. Blue plaque at 9 Victoria Street. West end of Park Road. Note that this road was transferred to Leamington from Old Milverton by Order in 2015.
Frank Whittle Mews (Sir). 2013. 3 addresses. See Frank Whittle Gardens (Sir). Site of his father’s workshop on Clinton Street.
Freemans Close. 1958. 38 addresses. Unlikely but Leslie Lionel Freeman was Mayor in 1966-1967. Across the end of Gaveston Road.
Freshwater Grove. About 1964 to 1968. 20 addresses. Origin unknown; perhaps linked to the water of Rad Brook nearby; place in the Isle of Wight. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.
Frost Street. 1808. Early name for Bedford Street. Mr D Frost was a land-owner and had the first house in Leamington built north of the river on the north-west corner of the crossroads of Regent Street and the Parade. Off Regent Street.
Fryer Avenue. 1991. 24 houses. Edwin Harry Fryer was Mayor from 1953 to 1955. Off Northumberland Road.
The Streets of Leamington beginning with G
Gainsborough Drive. About 1964 to 1968. 33 addresses. Probably named for the town of Gainsborough in Lincolnshire. Off Sydenham Drive.
Garden Court. 1863. 10 houses. Origin unknown, possibly suggesting gardens alongside Bins Brook. Renamed Garden Place in 1880 after a petition from residents because the “courts” of Leamington had acquired a poor reputation. Demolished about 1962. Rugby Road, now the site of the flats named Stamford Gardens. See also Barratt Court and Place and Stamford Court and Place.
Garden Place. 1880. See Garden Court above.
Garden View Cottages. Before 1886. 3 cottages. Probably overlooked gardens which are now allotments. Rear of Leam Terrace accessed by Railway Terrace.
Garway Close. 1974. 16 houses. Origin unknown; possibly named for the place in Hertfordshire. Belmont Drive, Park Road.
Gas Street. Before 1834. 47 addresses. The original access to Gas Works in Ranelagh Terrace. Tachbrook Road.
Gaveston Road. 1890. 39 addresses. Piers Gaveston was a ‘favourite’ of King Edward II, and he was beheaded by nobles, including the Earl of Warwick, at Blakelow Hill, Warwick in 1312; there is a memorial on the hill. Rugby Road.
Gem Place. Clarendon Street. XXXX
George Street. 1808. 69 addresses. Location of St Peter’s Roman Catholic Chapel 1828, now The Mission. Very probably named for King George IV. Off High Street.
Georges Court. Before 1847. Origin unknown, probably the owner of the properties in the court. Off Satchwell Street. Demolished in the 1950s.
Ginkgo Walk. About 1996. 9 addresses. Named for a tree in the arboretum of Hitchman’s Hydropathic establishment. Footpath off Tachbrook Street.
Glebe Place. 1879. 8 houses. Usually the land was owned by a church. Leam Terrace.
Gloucester Street. 1806. 24 addresses. Probably named for the Duke of Gloucester who visited the town in 1806. Off Bath Street.
Goodfellow Street. DDDD Before 2015. 77 addresses. Named for Charles Augustus Goodfellow (1836-1915); he was awarded the Victoria Cross in October 1859 during the Indian Mutiny; he retired with the rank of Lieutenant-General; from 1895 he lived at Avonview, No 38 Warwick New Road. On part of site of the first Milverton Station and later the goods yard. Old Milverton Road.
Goodwood Close. XXXX
Gordon Passage. Name agreed in 1852; renamed as Satchwell Place after 1951. Leads to the house of the Duke of Gordon built about 1800, he was an enthusiastic supporter of the spa town. Footpath off New Street.
Gordon Street. 1810. 59 addresses. Near to the house of the Duke of Gordon, an enthusiast of the spa town, see Gordon Passage. New Street.
Gosford Close. XXXX
Graham Street, XXXX
Grandborough Court. DDDD. 19 homes. Village near Rugby. Off Loxley Close.
Grange Close. XXXX.
Grange Mews. Beverley Road
Grange Road. 1949. 32 houses. On the site of Grange Farm, Lillington, which is now the site of Pine Court. Off Pound Lane.
Granville Street (sometimes earlier referred to as Granville Road). 1901. 46 addresses. Origin unknown but reference has been found to a Dr Granville in the town. Off Campion Road.
Great Church Way. Before 1711. The name probably relates to proximity to Lillington Church and some ceremonial. An old name for part of Cubbington Road, Lillington.
Greatheed Road. 1903. 58 addresses. The resident at Guys Cliffe House, Warwick, who owned a great amount of land in this area. Off Gaveston Road.
Greenways, The. See The Greenways.
Grenfell Close. About 1970 to 1975. 14 homes. Origin unknown, no similar place name found; perhaps a weak link to the entertainer Joyce Grenfell. Off Ledbury Road, Sydenham.
Gresham Avenue. 1936. 85 addresses. Origin unknown; place name in Norfolk. End on connection to Leicester Street.
Gresham Place. 1945. 16 addresses. Origin unknown; place name in Norfolk. Parallel to Gresham Avenue.
Greville Terrace. XXXX. Noted but not located.
Grosvenor Court. DDDD. 18 flats. Possibly named because Lord Leigh of Stoneleigh Abbey married Lady Grosvenor; Grosvenor is also the family name of Dukes of Westminster. Kenilworth Road.
Grosvenor Road. Renamed in 1953; 40 homes. previously St Helens Road (Lower or East). Possibly named because Lord Leigh of Stoneleigh Abbey married Lady Grosvenor; Grosvenor is also the family name of Dukes of Westminster. Brunswick Street.
Grove Place. Before 1828. 46 addresses. Possibly named for a nearby landmark grove of trees. Aylesford Street.
Grove Street. 1824. 74 addresses. 22 addresses. Possibly named for a nearby landmark grove of trees.. Warwick Street; Upper Grove Street to the north.
Gulistan Road. A Mews Road to Bertie Terrace until named about 1925. Gulistan is a rose garden in Persian language and the book ‘Gulistan’ is a landmark in Persian literature. Off Union Road.
Gullimans Way. DDDD Before 1997. 19 homes. Associated with Mr Gulliman’s wharf beside a bridge on the canal. Off Radford Road.
Gundry Close. DDDD 1973. 12 addresses. Probably named for Frank Gundry, Mayor 1958 to 1959. Off Davidson Avenue, Radford Road.
Gunnery Terrace. 1871. 18 addresses. The most popular idea for the source for the name is that there was a connery, coneygre or warren of rabbits (reared for food) in the area and this became corrupted to Gunnery. An alternative is that there was a shooting range on the nearby land of Gunnery Farm. Rugby Road.
Guy Place. Before 1867. 8 addresses. From the legendary ‘Guy of Warwick’. Guy Street to Oxford Street. Sometimes referred to as East and West either side of Chandos Street..
Guy Street. 1827. 10 addresses. From the legendary ‘Guy of Warwick’. Off Warwick Street.
Guy’s Cliffe Avenue. 1879. 110 addresses. Initially referred to as Guy’s Cliffe Road but the part to the north of Rugby Road was renamed as ‘Avenue’ in 1914. The land was owned by Greatheed of Guys Cliffe House, Warwick. At one time there was an avenue of trees in the area heading in the general direction of that House. Off Rugby Road. Home of Leamington Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.
Guy’s Cliffe Road. 1834. 24 addresses. The land was owned by Greatheed of Guys Cliffe House, Warwick. Off Rugby Road.
Guy’s Row. 1865. Probably an early name for Guy Place (see above).