The Streets of Leamington beginning with N

Note. A typical entry lists the date of the street, the origin of the name and finally the location of the street. Please refer to the page entitled Streets of Leamington for more information.

Napton Drive. 1984. 60 addresses. Named for a local village. Off Whitacre Road.

Nash’s Road. 1820. An early name for Newbold Road which became Willes Road. Probably named for a local farmer.

Neilston Street. Before 1831; sometimes referred to as Nelson Street in the early years. 28 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Althorpe Street.

Nevill Close. About 1951. 42 addresses. Origin unknown; the sixteenth Earl of Warwick was Richard Neville, known as Warwick the Kingmaker, but his name was spelt slightly differently. Off The Approach.

New Brook Street. On the site of Brook Street which was demolished and rebuilt about 1957. 66 addresses. Named for Bins Brook which ran from Lillington through the area and which has been culverted; the place at which the culvert runs into the River Leam can be seen at Riverside. Regent Street to Warwick Street.

New Market Place. There is reference to this in a newspaper of 1828. At that time the main market was off Bath Street. It must relate to a market of some kind.

New Market. There is reference to New Market in a Directory of 1871. Probably related to Covent Garden Market or an early name for Market Street in that area. It must relate to a market of some kind. Off Warwick Street and Tavistock Street.

New River Walk. Probably 1862. No addresses. Footpath alongside the south side of the river from York Bridge from the Pump Room Gardens. The length parallel to York Road is sometimes referred to as York Walk or Promenade.

New Street. Present in 1838 as a mews road to the western part of Leam Terrace. Earlier it was possibly a footpath to Radford Semele which passed the cottage home of Benjamin Satchwell. Probably not named as New Street until about 1870. 86 addresses. Origin of name unclear; for some reason the word ‘new’ must have seemed appropriate when it was named. Off George Street/Mill Street. Site of two schools which now have other uses and a burial ground which now has gravestones around the walls.

Newbold Archery Ground. Opened 1834 at the east end of what is now Jephson Gardens. Named for the proximity of Newbold Comyn and owned by the residents, the Willes family.

Newbold Beeches. A house built about 1862. Name probably originates from local trees and the vicinity of Newbold Comyn. Demolished 1975. Some way up Campion Hills above Upper Holly Walk

Newbold Comyn. This is a large area of land named from medieval times. Comyn was a family name around 1200, the land was never a common. It was enclosed at an early date and was probably always owned by one family, latterly the Willes for about 400 years. North east of the town, north of the river.

Newbold Comyn House. The base of the Willes family from about 1800 until 1943. Comyn was a family name around 1200; the land was never a common. Access was south from Upper Holly Walk; Fernhill Drive includes the site of the house. Demolished in 1965.

Newbold Cottages. About 1879. 9 addresses. Named for Newbold Comyn. A row of cottages on the north side of Rosefield Street near Newbold Place. Demolished DATE; now a car park.

Newbold Crescent. Proposal about 1878. Named for Newbold Comyn. This appears to have been the name proposed for the new street to be built curving to the south from the east end of Leicester Street; it was never built; the extension eventually was built curving to the north and joins Gresham Avenue.

Newbold Grove. This name is referred to from 1854 to 1897 but the location has not been determined. Named for Newbold Comyn.

Newbold Lodge. About 1834. This was probably a lodge somewhere in Jephson Gardens occupied by architect John George Jackson. One reference names the cottage as Strawberry Cottage at the north side of the Jephson Gardens at the boundary with the Parade. Named for Newbold Comyn.

Newbold Place. 1834. Originally up to 16 addresses on east and west side. 9 addresses remain on the west side. Named for Newbold Comyn. Off Rosefield Street.

Newbold Road. An early name for Willes Road. From about 1837 to about 1874. Named for Newbold Comyn. It was earlier named Nash’s Road.

Newbold Square. For a few years from about 1825 this was the name used for what is now Christ Church Gardens. Named for Newbold Comyn.

Newbold Street. About 1826. 22 addresses. Named for Newbold Comyn. From Hamilton Terrace to Newbold Terrace.
The following are Listed Grade II – Odd Nos 3 to 17, Even Nos 2 (Grove House), 4 to 16, Newbold Tavern, now the Drawing Board pub.

Newbold Terrace. Laid out from 1824 but houses were built very slowly and they were never all completed. 90 addresses. Named for Newbold Comyn. Off the Parade. A new block is being built on the corner of Newbold Street in 2019.
Location of the Royal Spa Centre on the site of Harrington House.
Location of the Justice Centre.
Nos 23, 24 and 25 are Listed Grade II.
There is a Blue Plaque for Sidney Flavel senior, businessman, at Nos 24 and 25.

Newbold Terrace East. Probably the access to Newbold Comyn House from an early date. Houses built in the street from 1830. Named Lawn Terrace for a short time around 1850 to 1869. 65 addresses. Named for Newbold Comyn. Off Willes Road.
Nos 26, 27, 34, 37 and 38 are Listed Grade II.

Newbury Close. About 1970 to 1975. 14 addresses. Named for the town in Berkshire. Off Stanton Road, Sydenham.

Newdigate. About 1982 to 1986. 15 addresses. Named for place near Nuneaton. Off Moncrieff Drive, Sydenham. Newdigate was the site of a colliery which was closed in 1982.

Newgale Walk. About 1964 to 1968. 12 addresses. Possibly named for a beach in Pembrokeshire as with several other streets on the Sydenham estate. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.

Newland Road. 1958. Original proposal was Newland Close. 92 addresses. Probably named for the fact it was the first building on the land. Off Mason Avenue.

Newnham Road. About 1964. 48 addresses. Possibly named for a village in Bedfordshire or Cambridgeshire. Off Valley Road.

Nightingale Court. Before 1973, DATE. 7 addresses. Probably named for the songbird because it sounded pleasant. Leam Terrace East.

Nightingale House. DATE. Probably named for the songbird. Lillington Avenue.

Norfolk Street. 1871. 34 buildings. Named for the county or the Duke of Norfolk; probably the former because Suffolk Street is nearby. Off Leicester Street.

North Villiers Street. 1872. 43 addresses. Origin unknown; probably named for the prominent aristocratic Villiers family. Off Upper Hill Street.

Northcote Street. 1880. 19 addresses. Probably named for Sir Stafford Northcote, a Conservative politician around 1870. Off Willes Road.

Northumberland Court. About 1995. 45 addresses. Named for the old county. South side of Northumberland Road.

Northumberland Lodge. About 1995. 12 addresses. Named for the old county. Northumberland Road.

Northumberland Mews. About 1995. 4 addresses. Named for the old county. Northumberland Road.

Northumberland Park. About 1995. Named for the old county. North side of Northumberland Road. The street which leads to Northumberland Mews and Northumberland Lodge.

Northumberland Road. About 1875. 197 addresses. Named for the old county, or possibly the Duke of Northumberland. Off Kenilworth Road.

Northway. About 1935. 50 addresses. Simply named for the direction of the street. Off Grosvenor Road.

Norton Cottages. About 1905. Probably named for the owner. Off Hill Street. Demolished before 1991.

Nursery Lane. 1952. 24 addresses. Probably named for a plant nursery in the vicinity. Off Staunton Road.

The Streets of Leamington beginning with O

Note. A typical entry lists the date of the street, the origin of the name and finally the location of the street. Please refer to the page entitled Streets of Leamington for more information.

Oak Place. DATE, possibly 1960. 4 addresses. Name of tree. Block of flats on Willes Road.

Oak Tree Close. 1965. 8 addresses. Named for the Midland Oak (Centre of England) nearby. The street originally had direct access to Lillington Road; it is now via Heemstede Lane.

Oakridge Road. 1961. 18 addresses. Origin probably generic. Original name proposed was Oakridge Close. Off Parklands Avenue.

Oaks Corner. DATE. Probably named for the Midland Oak nearby. The south-east corner of crossroads of Arlington Avenue and Lillington Avenue.

Oaks, The. DATE. 24 addresses. Perhaps named for nearby trees. Warwick Place.

Offa Road. 1928. 52 addresses. Origin for Offa, Anglo-Saxon King of Mercia; he iss also related to the nearby village of Offchurch. Off Waverley Road, Rushmore estate.

Old Mill House. 1964. Named for the mill at the rear on the River Leam. Early name for the three streets known as Mill House Terrace etc. Off Warwick New Road near the Portobello bridge.

Old Milverton Lane. This has probably existed for at least 1,000 years. Renamed Old Milverton Road about 1908. 25 addresses. The lane leading to Old Milverton. Off Rugby Road.

Old Milverton Road. This has probably existed for at least 1,000 years. Named Old Milverton Lane before 1908. 25 addresses. The street leading to Old Milverton. Off Rugby Road.

Old Warwick Road. Part of the Warwick to Daventry turnpike between Tachbrook Road and Princes Drive. 55 business addresses. Named as it is a main route to Warwick. Acquired the title ‘old’ when the Warwick New Road was built and named about 1827. Originally the official Warwick Turnpike from about 1763 until 1853 or 1871.

Onslow Croft. About 2001. 15 addresses. Origin in the town unknown; in general it is a boy’s name meaning “from the zealous one’s hill”; perhaps appropriate for a street built on a school playing field. Off College Road.

Orchard Court. DATE. 8 addresses. Possibly on or near the site of an orchard. No 27 Kenilworth Road.

Orchard Street. Before 1832. Built on the orchard of Mr Wise of Manor House. It ran between Bath Place and Bath Lane (later Street). The foundations of the bridge for the first railway were dug in the street and it ceased to exist.

Osborne Place. DATE. Origin probably Osborne House, Isle of Wight, a house of Queen Victoria. A pair of houses on the south side of Russell Terrace Check Number.

Oswald Road. About 1873. 11 addresses. Origin possibly Oswald Milne, Master of Hounds; otherwise the name is of Anglo-Saxon origin combining the concepts of god and power or rule. Off Rugby Road.

Otters Rest. About 1998 to 2002. 21 addresses. Reference to the otters which were seen in the Rad Brook area and may have returned; possibly refers to a specific stone used as a perch by otters beyond the end of the street. Off St Fremund Way, Sydenham.

Overell Close. Early name proposed for Overell Grove.

Overell Grove. DATE. 10 addresses. Named for a solicitor who was town clerk for a time; the first record found of a solicitor named Overell in the town was in George Street in 1846. Off Avonlea Rise.

Oxford Place. Named from 1865; previously Melbourne Street from about 1852. 2 addresses. Probably named for the city. Off Oxford Street.

Oxford Road. Probably a reference in error to Oxford Street.

Oxford Row. 1830. 1 address. Probably named for the city. Off Oxford Street.

Oxford Street. Before 1828. 50 addresses. Probably named for the city. Off Warwick Street.

The Streets of Leamington beginning with P

Note. A typical entry lists the date of the street, the origin of the name and finally the location of the street. Please refer to the page entitled Streets of Leamington for more information.

Packington Place. Possibly before 1800. 24 addresses. Named for Packington Hall, the residence of the Lord of the Manor, Earl of Aylesford, near Great Packington. Off High Street.

Packwood Close. About 1986 to 1990. 33 addresses. Named for Packwood House, National Trust property near Lapworth. Off Chesterton Drive, Sydenham.

Padmore Court. 1968 to 1970. 18 addresses. Possibly named for Padmore House at Whippingham, Isle of Wight; ‘padde’ meant ‘toad’ in Old English. Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.

Page’s Buildings. Before 1901; possibly an existing court was renamed. demolished about 1956. Probably named for the owner. Off Kenilworth Street.

Palace Yard. Before 1901; possibly an existing court was renamed. It was probably near the Palace Inn which was in Satchwell Street at No 36 from 1898-1976. Off Satchwell Street. Demolished in 1950s.

Parade. This street has had a quite bewildering variety of names. It is easier to examine the street in three parts.
1. The lower part from Victoria Bridge over the river to Regent Street was built first. The part from the bridge to Regent Grove was part of the much older Lillington Lane.
Building of the new street began about 1808 from near the Regent Street end. It was first referred to as Union Street or Union Row but by 1818 it was named Union Parade or Lower Union Parade. The name Row probably related to the row of houses built on the western side from about 1808; the name Parade was a common name for a major street in a town; the origin of the word Union is less clear; in other streets it referred to the Poor Law Union but this does not appear to be appropriate; Union may simply relate to the street uniting the old village with the new buildings.
After 1830 it was named Lower Parade. In 1873 the whole run of the street was renamed the Parade and it was all renumbered as one street.
2. The middle section from Regent Street to Warwick Street was built next. It also began about 1808 at the Regent Street end. It was named Upper Union Street. It became Upper Parade around 1840 and then again became part of the Parade in 1873. The word Upper clearly relates to the fact that the Parade rises quite steeply when moving from south to north.
3. The higher part from Warwick Street to Clarendon Avenue was finally built from about 1820. The west side was named York Terrace and the east side was Lansdowne Place. The street became part of the Parade from 1873. It is currently occasionally referred to as ‘upper’ Parade; this can be confusing because the middle section was formerly Upper Parade (see above).
There now about 230 addresses in the Parade. Note that the formal name does not use the definite article.
The following buildings on the Parade are Listed Grade II –
Odd Numbers, Nos 1 to 31, Nos 33 to 47, 49, 49A, 51, 51A, 53, 53A, 55, 57, 63, 65, 67, 71, Lloyds Bank listed as No 85 Regent Street, No 77 Regent Hotel, Town Hall, Statue of Queen Victoria, Obelisk to Henry Bright, War Memorial, North and South Lodges, Victoria Bridge;
Even Numbers, Nos 12 to 42, 44, 58, 58A, 66, 68, 74, 92, 92A, 98 to 104, 112 to 120, 122, 124, 126, 132 to 136, 138, 144, 144A, 146, 148 and 150, 152 to 170, Royal Pump Room and Baths.
There are Blue Plaques for Henry Peach Robinson, a local photographer who was recognised nationally, at No 60, and Dr Henry Jephson, the great supporter of the spa, at No 118.

Parish End. About 2006. 45 addresses. Near the old border stone between the parishes of Whitnash and Leamington. Off St Fremund Way, Sydenham.

Park Court. Unsure whether this relates to a court of the 1800s; Probably a later name. Derived from name of the street. Off Park Street.

Park Drive. Built 1921 by the council using unemployed people. Only one address at present. Origin clearly relates to Victoria Park. The street around the south side of Victoria Park.

Park Place. 01. 1852. Demolished about 1932. Name relates to the name of the adjoining street. A court off Park Street.

Park Place 02. 1856 to 1909. Origin unknown; the lands (park) of Shrubland Hall were opposite. Name for Nos 21 to 37 Tachbrook Road.

Park Road. The street may have existed before 1841, but buidings began about 1871. 80 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Lillington Road.

Park Street. 1810. 64 addresses. Origin unknown; possibly relates to park area of Jephson Gardens. Regent Street to Warwick Street. There was a campaign to have the name changed to Park Lane when Royal Priors was built but this was not successful; the intention was to reflect the prestige of the street of that name in London.

Parklands Avenue. 1949. 90 addresses. Appears to be a theme in the area because many adjoining streets have the names of parks. Cubbington Road.

Payne Close. 1988. 8 addresses. Probably named for Jack Payne, a nationally known dance-band leader who was born in Leamington in 1899. Off Lillington Road.

Pebble Island Way. About 1998 to 2002. 35 addresses. Near a bend in the Rad (Whitnash) Brook. Off Chesterton Drive, Sydenham.

Pelham Close. One record but no location found.

Pembroke Court. DATE. 9 addresses. County town in Wales. Flats in Lillington Avenue.

Pendine Court. DATE. 9 addresses. Place in South Wales; Pendine Sands are famed for their use for the breaking of land speed records. Off Warwick Place.

Pennystone Close. About 1968 to 1970. 4 addresses. Origin unknown; Penistone is a place near Barnsley. Off Danesbury Crescent, Sydenham.

Penrith Close. 1965. 15 addresses. Place in Cumbria; several streets in the area are named for the Lake District. Off Ravensdale Avenue.

Percy Terrace. 1869. 12 addresses. The Percy family lived at Guys Cliffe House. Off Rugby Road.

Perkins’ Garden. Before 1852. Plant nursery off Avenue Road. Named for the owner. York Road (1893) and the Library were built on the site.

Philip Court. 1962. 8 addresses. Origin unknown. Kingsway.

Pinders Court. 1850. Probably named for the owner. Off Park Street. Demolished DATE.

Pine Court. Before 1973. 33 addresses. Perhaps named for nearby trees. Cubbington Road. It occupies the site of the buildings of Grange Farm.

Pleasant Way. 1973. 14 addresses. A very pleasant name. Off Villiers Street.

Plymouth Place. Before 1856. 90 addresses. Named for the city in Devon. From Forfield Place to Farley Street

Portland Court. DATE. Named for adjoining street and Duke of Portland. Portland Street.

Portland House. 1828. 8 addresses. Named for Duke of Portland. Portland Street.

Portland Mews. 1832. 3 addresses. Named for Duke of Portland. Portland Street.

Portland Place. 1824. Named for Duke of Portland. Crosses Dale Street. See Portland Place East and Portland Place West.

Portland Place East. 1824. 49 addresses. Named for Duke of Portland. Dale Street to Augusta Place.
The following are Listed Grade II –
Odds, 9 and 13 to 19.
Evens, Nos 34 to 48.

Portland Place West. 1824; the suffix West agreed in 1854. 51 addresses. Named for Duke of Portland. From Dale Street to end-on meeting with Milverton Hill.
The following are Listed Grade II –
Odds, No 7.
Evens, Nos 4 to 32.

Portland Road. 1838. Named for Duke of Portland. Extension of Portland Place to the east of Augusta Place to Bedford Street. Now covered by St Peters multi-storey car park. Probably 8 or 9 addresses at some time. St Peters Road is not on the site of Portland Road.

Portland Row. 1845. A row of about 20 houses. Named for Duke of Portland. Between Portland Place West and the river. Built on land reclaimed when the river was straightened. Demolished after 1950 and the site is used as part of a car park.

Portland Street. 1824. 145 addresses. Named for Duke of Portland. Portland Place East to Warwick Street.
The following are Listed Grade II
Odds, 1 to 5, 17 to 25, 31 to 41 and 47.
Evens, 2 to 12 and 22 to 38.
A Blue Plaque for Samuel Thomas Wackrill, first Mayor of the new Borough in 1875, is at No 6.

Portland Terrace. This name was used from about 1845 to 1879. Named for Duke of Portland. The north side of Portland Place East, to the east of Portland Street

Portway Close. About 1967 to 1970. 8 addresses. Probably named for place on the western side of Warwickshire. Off Danesbury Crescent, Sydenham.

Pound Lane. Before 1730. 22 addresses. Location of the for Lillington pound where stray animals were impounded. Off Cubbington Road, Lillington.

Powers Court. 1831. Original court of about 6 houses demolished probably in 1950s and a block of offices was built on the site. In 2017 these were demolished and a care home built. Origin probably the name of the owner of the court. Off Russell Street.

Prince Regent Court. 1988. About 39 addresses. Origin Prince Regent who visited the town. Off Charlotte Street.

Princes Court. 1852. Origin possibly for the Prince Regent. Off Windsor Street. Probably demolished in 1950s.

Princes Drive. 1887 and 1923. The length to the east from Victoria Park to Old Warwick Road was built about 1887 to provide access to the river and the sewage works; it was named Sewage Lane and then River Walk Lane until incorporated into Princes Drive. 37 addresses. Origin the Prince of Wales who opened the street and bridge over the river in 1923; he became King Edward VIII. Warwick New Road to Old Warwick Road.

Princes Street. 1863. 59 addresses. Early references to the name Princess Street have been found. Origin unknown, possibly alluding to the Prince Regent. Off Campion Terrace.

Printer Street. 1820. Renamed West Street before 1927. About 6 houses. Named for a printer, Fairfax, probably the first printer in town. Off Clemens Street, west side. Buildings demolished before 1990.

Priory Court. 1840. 4 or 5 houses. Origin uncertain, see Priory Terrace. Cottages off Priory Street.

Priory Street. Before 1828. 8 addresses. Origin uncertain, see Priory Terrace. Off Tachbrook Road.

Priory Terrace. 1820. 22 addresses. The origin of the name in Leamington is a mystery; there is no evidence of a priory in the vicinity although a building between this street and the river was named The Priory in 1852 and Priory Farm was recorded before that. Off Bath Street, opposite to Victoria Terrace.
Nos 4 and 6 and the former Post Office building are Listed Grade II.

Promenade. 1832. Became Dormer Place before 1888. Simply a place for promenading. Early name for Dormer Place or the footpath alongside on the edge of the Pump Room Gardens (Linden Walk).

Prospect Road. 1929. 60 addresses. Origin possibly because the view from the upper end of the street offered a prospect of the countryside beyond the railway. Extension of Grosvenor Road to the east.

Purcell Close. DATE. 8 addresses. Origin unknown. South side of Eastfield Road.

Purton Mews. About 1975 to 1978. 6 addresses. Possibly named for a village in Gloucestershire. Off Lambourn Crescent, Sydenham.