The Streets of Leamington beginning with Q

Note. A typical entry lists the date of the street, the origin of the name and finally the location of the street. Please refer to the page entitled Streets of Leamington for more information.

Quarry Street. 1894 and housing developed over a long period. 70 addresses. On the site of a quarry for clay for bricks. Off Rugby Road.

Queen Street. 1837, many houses replaced with Kennedy Square development. 22 addresses at this time; about 98 before redevelopment. One of a number of streets in the area with names related to Royalty. Off Campion Terrace.

Queensway. 1949; a street from Princes Drive to St Helens Road had first been proposed in 1930. 243 addresses. Name relates to the royal family. Europa Way to Tachbrook Road.

The Streets of Leamington beginning with R

Note. A typical entry lists the date of the street, the origin of the name and finally the location of the street. Please refer to the page entitled Streets of Leamington for more information.

Radbrook Way. About 1968 to 1970. 3 addresses. Named for the brook which forms the boundary between Radford Semele and both Leamington and Whitnash; the brook is now often referred to as Whitnash Brook although that was the name of a stream which ran much further to the west and is now culverted. Off Danesbury Crescent, Sydenham.

Radcliffe Gardens. 1957. 66 addresses. Origin uncertain. Blocks of flats on Brunswick Street.

Radford Cottages. Before 1886; uncertain when named. 4 houses. Named for Radford Semele. Off Leam Terrace East.

Radford Road. Before 1783. 273 addresses. This was part of the road from Warwick to Daventry which later became a turnpike. Named for Radford Semele. The street runs from an end-on connection to High Street to the town boundary to the east. The transition from High Street to Radford Road has changed. On early maps High Street ran at least as far as Willes Road. In recent years Radford Road began at Forfield Place but it is currently at George Street. The date of renaming was before 1950.
Three houses which are Listed Grade II in St Marys Road adjoin this street.

Radford Street. Recorded in 1839. Named for Radford Semele. Probably refers to houses in Leam Terrace East.

Radley ????. 2019. Houses being built near Lillington Free Church. Origin unknown. Off Cubbington Road.

Railway Terrace. Before 1862. About 5 houses. Origin unknown; quite strange because there is no railway nearby. Off Leam Terrace East. Unlikely but possibly an early name for Glebe Place.

Ramsey Road. 1964. 11 business addresses. Possibly named for the place in the Isle of Man. Off St Mary’s Road, Sydenham.

Randolph Close. 1969. 16 addresses. Probably named for boxer Randolph Turpin. Off Endsleigh Gardens.

Ranelagh Street. Before 1811. 2 addresses currently; about 10 at an earlier date. Named for Ranelagh Gardens, pleasure garden and plant nursery, nearby. Ranelagh Gardens struggled when Jephson Gardens opened in 1846 and were sold about 1849. Off Brunswick Street.

Ranelagh Terrace. A short length from Brunswick Street was built about 1808; the length to Tachbrook Road was known as The Ropewalk for a time; the remainder probably not built until about 1896. 140 addresses. Named for Ranelagh Gardens, pleasure garden and plant nursery, nearby (see Ranelagh Street). Off Brunswick Street.

Range Meadow Close. About 1980. 29 addresses. Named for a firing range near this site. Off Guys Cliffe Avenue.

Ravensdale Avenue. 1964. 22 addresses. Place in the Lake District. Off Penrith Close.

Rawlinson Road. 1940. Site of prefabricated homes initially. 41 addresses. Named for a long-serving town clerk, Leo Rawlinson. Off Gresham Avenue.

Redcar Close. Before 1972. 19 addresses. Named for horse racecourse to recognise the use of land of Stud Farm. Off Valley Road.

Redhill Furrows. About 1998 to 2002. 13 addresses. Reference to an old field name and the appearance of the ploughed land. Off St Fremund Way, Sydenham.

Redland Road. 1953. 48 addresses. Probably reference to the clay in the area. Off Henley Road.

Regent Court. Name given to the retail area in Livery Street in 2005. 103 addresses in Livery Street. Named for the Prince Regent, later King George IV. Off the Parade. Regent Hotel is alongside the street and is Listed Grade II.

Regent Grove. Part of Lillington Lane before 1783; named about 1815. 59 addresses. Named for the Prince Regent, later King George IV. Off the Parade.
Denby Buildings and No 31 are Listed Grade II. Note that the numbering is confusing because Denby Buildings are numbered 1 to 37 but numbers from 31 begin again to the east.

Regent Mews. 1832. Named for the Prince Regent, later King George IV. This was the mews of stables and carriage sheds for Regent Hotel. Before the hotel was built it was named King’s Mews. Now known as a pedestrian way, Livery Street and Regent Court, from the Parade to Regent Street.

Regent Place. Before 1825. 53 addresses. Named for the Prince Regent, later King George IV. Off Bath Street.

Regent Square House. 1972. Named for the Prince Regent, later King George IV. The block of shops and offices on the south-east corner of the crossing of the Parade and Regent Street. On the site of gardens of the Regent Hotel; for many years it was also occupied by a small building that had many uses.

Regent Street. 1808. Initially named as Cross Street and renamed in 1819 after a visit of the Prince Regent; lengths to the west were variously named Wellington Street and Church Hill; the name had earlier been given to what became Aylesford Street. 249 addresses. Named for the Prince Regent, later King George IV. Crosses the Parade.
Many addresses are Listed Grade II:-
Odds, Nos 7, 9, 25 to 33, Fizzy Moon (No 35), 39 to 61, 63 to 79, 83 to 99, The Royal Pug (No 141) and the Angel Hotel (No 143).
Evens, Nos 8, 12, 18, 20, 22 to 30, 48 to 52, 58, 60, 72, 74, 82, 84, 86 to 90 and 118.

Rene England House. Before 2005. 29 addresses. Edna Irene (Rene) England OBE was Mayor in 1968. Goodfellow Street.

Richards Grove. 1996. Built on part of the site of a plant nursery on St Helens Road. 20 addresses. Possibly named for the owner of the nursery but no evidence as yet. Off Windmill Road.

Richmond Court. DATE. 15 addresses. Origin unknown. St Mary’s Road.

Ridgewood Close. 1971. 15 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Riversleigh Road.

Rinill Grove. About 1970 to 1975. 15 addresses. Origin is probably related to an existing area mentioned in the Enclosure Act 1768. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.

Riplingham. The original house with this name was on the site before 1901; replaced by flats DATE. 42 addresses. Possibly named for place in the East Riding of Yorkshire. A block of flats in Arlington Avenue

Risdale Close. 1964. 14 addresses. Named for a place in the Lake District. Off Borrowdale Drive.

River Close. Date 1950 to 1963. 10 addresses. Name derived from location near river. Off Edmondscote Road.

River Walk.

River Walk Lane. Known as Sewage Lane before 1883. As well as leading to the sewage works it also led to the walk alongside the river. The street from the river walk alongside Victoria Park to Old Warwick Road now named as the southern part of Princes Drive.

Riverside. Land reclaimed about 1840 when the river was straightened. This street was not named before about 1990; the address used before this related to buildings on the site from time to time including Drill Hall, Fire Station and Mortuary. 6 addresses. Clearly named for location by river. Off Adelaide Road.

Riversleigh Road. 1970. 43 addresses. Probably named for its location near the River Avon. Off Old Milverton Road.

Robbins Way. DATE. 9 addresses. Named for Mayor George James Walter Robbins, 1969 to 1970. Off Haddon Road.

Robinia Close. About 1993. 20 addresses. Origin unknown,probably named for a plant. Off Rosewood Crescent, Gresham Avenue.

Rochester Terrace. Before 1909. Absorbed into Highfield Terrace about 1939. Probably named for the town in Kent. Part of Highfield Terrace, off Rugby Road.

Rochford Court. 1964. Origin unknown. A row of 4 houses next to No 28 Avenue Road; they were built on the gardens of houses in Adelaide Road.

Rock Mill Lane. Before 1790. 26 addresses. The mill was probably built on or near a rocky outcrop beside the River Avon. Off Rugby Road. 4 buildings, Rock Mill, Rock Mill House, Rock Cottage and White House, are Listed Grade II.

Ropewalk. 1808. Presumably it was used as a place for making ropes. The western part of Ranelagh Terrace when the eastern part was built; see that street for details.

Rosefield Place. About 1832. No addresses. Probably just a pleasant-sounding name. Rear of Euston Place provides access to Justice Centre and car park.

Rosefield Street. 1830. 48 addresses. Probably just a pleasant-sounding name. West and east off Newbold Street. The existing houses are all east of Newbold Street. There were 9 houses in the street named Newbold Cottages near Newbold Place next to The Drawing Board which have been demolished DATE.

Rosefield Terrace. About 1840; renamed Street in 1903. Probably just a pleasant-sounding name. Early name for what is now the western part of Rosefield Street.

Rosewood Crescent. 1993. 36 addresses. Probably just a pleasant-sounding name. Off Whitethorn Drive off Gresham Avenue.

Rotherfield Close. 2010. 5 addresses. Possibly named for a village in Oxfordshire or Surrey. Off Farley Street.

Royal Priors. 1985. 42 addresses. Reference to the title of the town and the earlier name of Leamington Priors. Shopping centre off Regent Street and Warwick Street.

Rugby Road. Before 1700. 324 addresses. Leads to Rugby. A part of the road which for a time was the turnpike from Warwick to Rugby.
St Marks Church and Milverton School are in this street. The first railway station in the town was also at the corner with Old Milverton Road from 1844; this was moved to Warwick New Road in 1883.

Rushmore Estate. 1927. Named for Rushmore Farm; origin of name unknown. Estate built on part of Rushmore Farm.

Rushmore Farm. Before 1854. Origin unknown. The site of the farmhouse is at Jenton Road on Sydenham industrial estate.

Rushmore Place. 1878. About 14 houses in 1881. Named for Rushmore Farm; origin of name unknown.. Off Rushmore Street. Demolished.

Rushmore Street. 1871. 52 addresses. Named for Rushmore Farm; origin of name unknown.. Off Clapham Terrace.

Rushmore Terrace. 1878. 7 addresses. Named for Rushmore Farm; origin of name unknown. Off Rushmore Street, alongside the canal; an unusual three storeyed terrace.

Rusina Court. 2003. 49 addresses. Named for Rusina Villa which was on the site with access from Tachbrook Road; the grounds of the villa earlier became a plant nursery after demolition; the origin of the word Rusina is unknown. Off Ranelagh Terrace.

Russell Court. 1959. Possibly named for Lord Russell, prime minister 1865. Off Russell Street.

Russell Place. 1835. Possibly named for Lord Russell, who later became prime minister 1865. Off Russell Terrace.

Russell Street. 1818. 17 addresses. Possibly named for Lord Russell, who later became prime minister 1865. From Warwick Street to Clarendon Avenue. Abbey House at No 22 is Listed Grade II.

Russell Terrace. 1825. 214 addresses. Possibly named for Lord Russell, who later became prime minister 1865; there is also evidence of a Russell Farm in this area of the town. From end-on meeting with Chapel Street to Willes Road. 12 houses are Listed Grade II.

Ryland Close. 1974. 60 addresses. Probably named for Councillor Smith-Ryland of Sherbourne. Off Endsleigh Gardens.