The Streets of Leamington beginning with S
Note 1. A typical entry lists the date of the street, the origin of the name and finally the location of the street. Please refer to the page entitled Streets of Leamington for more information.
Note 2. As a trial, in this Section a capital letter indicates the part of the town where the street is located. Click Location Map which should open the map in new window.
Salisbury Hall. About 1904. 12 addresses. Originally built by the Conservative Party, it was named for the Marquess of Salisbury who served as leader of the party from 1880 and as Prime Minister for 13 years. Warwick Street and Windsor Street (G). This building is in two major parts; at the northern end were club rooms and further south there was a meeting hall accessed from a Palladian doorway in terracotta. The whole building was converted to apartments named Windsor Club about 2012.
The part on Warwick Street is No 36 and is Listed Grade II.
Sanders Court. Before 1838. Probably named for the owner of the court. Off Satchwell Street (H). Demolished DATE
Sandersons Court. Before 1887. Probably named for the owner of the court. Between Park Street and Satchwell Street (H). Demolished DATE.
Sandown Close. DATE. 22 addresses. Named for a racecourse because it is on the fields of Stud Farm. Off Valley Road (J).
Sandy Lane. Before 1783. Probably named for an area of sandy soil. Off Lillington Road (C). Most of this street is in Old Milverton but the site of North Leamington School was transferred to Leamington by Order in 2015. This was part of a main road to Kenilworth before the current Kenilworth Road was made.
Sapphire Drive. 1996. 28 addresses. Street imaginatively named for the location on the site of the Henry Griffith jewel factory. Off Queensway (V).
Sargeaunt Street. 1931. 32 addresses. Miss Sargeaunt was a long-serving councillor (1919 to 1938). Off Bury Road (V).
Satchwell Court. 01. 1834. Demolished about 1930. Named for Benjamin Satchwell, the Village Rhymer. Off Satchwell Street (H).
Satchwell Court. 02. 1985. Named in memory of the original Satchwell Court built 1834. Name given to the area between Royal Priors southern entrance and Regent Street when the shopping centre was built (H).
Satchwell Court. 03. Conflicting dates; certainly before 1837 but probably not as early as 1808. Named for Benjamin Satchwell; no evidence found that he owned or was connected to it. Off Clemens Street (W).
Satchwell Place. 01. 1807. A block of four houses. Benjamin Satchwell had a cottage on or near the site which was also the Post Office; the houses were built by his daughter Mrs Hopton. Named for Benjamin Satchwell, the Village Rhymer. Off New Street (S).
The block of four houses is Listed Grade II.
Satchwell Place. 02. After 1991. This is now the name given to the footpath which runs along the edge of the gardens of the four houses named Satchwell Place. This path was earlier named Gordon Passage because it led towards Gordon House. Named for Benjamin Satchwell, the Village Rhymer. Off New Street (S).
Gordon House is Listed Grade II.
Satchwell Street. Before 1813. About 40 addresses. Named for Benjamin Satchwell, the Village Rhymer. Between Warwick Street and Regent Street (H). It was demolished and the Royal Priors shopping centre was built on the site in 1985.
Satchwell Walk. 1985. 11 addresses. Named for Benjamin Satchwell, the Village Rhymer. From Park Street to Satchwell Court (Royal Priors) (H).
Saunders House. Before 2016. 6 addresses. Probably named for Thomas Henry Saunders, Mayor 1959 to 1960. This block of flats replaced No 67 Binswood Avenue (H).
Saxon Meadows. DATE. 15 addresses. Appears to be a fanciful use of the name of ancient people; there is no evidence of Saxons in the area. Off St James Meadow Road and Old Milverton Road (E).
Scarborough Cottages. 1886. About 2 addresses. Demolished about 1960; the adjoining Radford Cottages remain. Origin unknown. Behind No 201 Leam Terrace East (T).
Scotland Place. 1853. About 40 houses. Mostly demolished and Charles Gardner Road built on much of the site in 1964; some original houses remain at the Tachbrook Road end. Origin unknown, most likely the country. Off St Johns Road to Tachbrook Road (W).
Scott Road. 1927. 23 addresses. Unknown origin, perhaps for author Sir Walter Scott. Off Waverley Road, Rushmore estate (X).
Severn Close. DATE. 13 addresses. Named for the river. Off Valley Road (J).
Sewage Lane. 1887. Early name for that part of Princes Drive from Old Warwick Road to the sewage works; it also led to the River Walk. Named for the sewage works at the northern end. It was soon renamed River Walk Lane and then it became Princes Drive in 1923 (Q).
Sheepcote Close. 1973. 12 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Villiers Street (I).
Shellays Cottages. Before 1852. 2 Cottages behind No 8 New Street (S). Demolished in 1958. Origin probably the name of the owner.
Sherbourne Place. Before 1844. 19 addresses. Probably named for the village near Warwick. Along Clarendon Street (I).
Sherbourne Terrace. About 1844. 13 addresses. Probably named for the village near Warwick. Along Clarendon Street (I).
Sherwood Walk. 1963. 20 addresses. Probably named for Sherwood Forest. Off Parklands Avenue (J).
Shires, The. 1989. Origin uncertain. In 2018 the name appears to have changed recently to Leamington Shopping Centre. It is mostly (if not all) in the Borough of Warwick. Off Tachbrook Park Drive (U).
Shrubland Street. Built about 1835 and named Springfield Street. 61 addresses. Renamed in 1875 for Shrubland Hall, the home of the Wise family off Tachbrook Road; the true origin of the word Shrubland probably relates to the shrubby nature of vegetation. Off Brunswick Street (W and X).
Shrubland Street School is in the street.
Shrubland Terrace. Before 1852. 3 houses. Named for Shrubland Hall, the home of the Wise family off Tachbrook Road; true origin of Shrubland probably relates to shrubby nature of vegetation. Nos 25 to 29 (odds) Tachbrook Road (W).
Shuckburgh Grove. 1980. 67 addresses. Named for Shuckburgh Hall or the village of Lower Shuckburgh, both near Southam. Off Loxley Way (I).
Silver Birch Grove. 1996. 10 addresses. Named for trees; the street is at the location of the Arboretum of John Hitchman’s Hydropathic Establishment which became the Royal Midland Counties Home in St Helens Road. Off Wych Elm Grove (W).
Sir Frank Whittle Gardens. See Frank Whittle Gardens (Sir).
Sir Frank Whittle Mews. See Frank Whittle Mews (Sir).
Smith Street. 1790. No addresses in 2019. Named for the daughter or son-in-law of William Abbotts who founded the first commercial spa bath adjoining this street. Off Bath Street (R). The side of the Bath Hotel was along the north side of the street.
Smith’s Buildings. Before 1830; shown on map of 1852. Probably named for the owner of the buildings. At the corner of St Johns Road and Shrubland Street. These buildings were on the site which is now occupied by Charles Gardner Road (W).
Solway Close. About 1970 to 1975. 24 addresses. Place in Scotland. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham (Z).
Somers Place. 1846. 7 addresses. Probably named for Earl Somers; the name Somers is related to the name Eastnor which was also used for street names in the town. Off Regent Street (M).
Somerset House. Before 1843. Built as Jarman’s Brunswick Hotel which survived until about 1925 when renamed. 2 addresses. Named for the county or the Duke of Somerset. Corner of Clarendon Place and Warwick Street (F). A drawing on a map shows the hotel with another wing to the west on Warwick Street to make the façade symmetrical but which does not appear to have been built.
Somerset Place. Before 1852. Named for the county or the Duke of Somerset. Off Clemens Street (W or X). Demolished DATE.
South Bank. DATE. Probably had a southerly aspect. An area in Cubbington Road, Lillington (D, I or J).
South Crescent. One reference has been found to a location in Leam Terrace in 1827 (S).
South Parade. 01. 1829. Origin appears a bit contrary because it is in the northern part of the town. This street was renamed Clarendon Avenue about 1875 (G and H).
South Parade. 02. 1828. About 8 houses. The houses probably had attractive southern aspect when built; an advertisement in 1829 refers to a house ‘commanding picturesque views of the wooded village of Whitnash and surrounding country’. A run of houses on the north side of Charlotte Street at the western end. The name was abandoned about 1835 because of confusion with the street of the same name which later became Clarendon Avenue (W).
South View Road. Before 1914. 31 addresses. A description of the location of the street. Off Cubbington Road (D).
Southbank House. About 1870; converted to flats in 2002. 34 addresses. Named for a description of location, although it is actually on the north bank of the river. A house on Warwick New Road; now part of Lucas Court (L).
Southborough Terrace. 1963. 30 addresses. Probably because it is in the south of the town. Row of shops in Brunswick Street with living above (W).
Southlands. DATE. 5 addresses. Origin probably related to the location in the south of the town. This was a house at No 85 Radford Road. It became a school from 1933 until after 1954 DATE. It was demolished about DATE and a block of five flats was built with the same name (S).
Southlea Avenue. 1938. 29 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Kingsway, Shrubland estate (V).
Southlea Close. 1938. 12 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Southlea Avenue, Shrubland estate (V).
Southorn Court. 1961. 46 addresses. Named for C Herbert Southorn, Mayor three times from 1935. Off The Crest (J).
Southorn Place. DATE. Origin unknown. Mentioned in 1845 in Oxford Row. Location unknown.
Southsea Place. DATE. Origin unknown. Mentioned near Printer Street in 1887.
Southway. Name agreed 1935 but not built until 1952. 72 addresses. Named for the location. Off Grosvenor Road (X).
Spencer Street. 1835. Initially named Harriet Street but changed to Spencer Street soon after. 52 addresses. Named for Lord Spencer. Off Bath Street. In 2019 it is the section of street from Bath Street to Lower Avenue but maps of 1900 show Spencer Street reaching as far as Station Approach. The section from Lower Avenue to Station Approach is now named as part of Avenue Road (R).
The following buildings are Listed Grade II, Nos 1-3 (odds), 5-13 (odds), United Reform Church, The Avenue pub, No 12 and the Bath Assembly Rooms.
Spencer Yard. 1875. Originally mews road to Victoria Terrace and Spencer Street. 10 addresses. Named for Lord Spencer. Off Spencer Street. The remains of a diagonal row of buildings has not yet been explained; they may follow the line of an early or drive leading directly to the manor house (R).
Spilsbury Close. DATE. 15 addresses. Named for Sir Bernard Spilsbury, the pioneer forensic scientist, born in Bath Street. Off College Road (B).
Springfield Street. 1835. The original name for Shrubland Street. Origin unknown. East and west off Brunswick Street (W and X).
Springwell Road. About 1968 to 1970. 14 addresses. Possibly relates to the waters of the spa town. Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham (Z).
Spruce Grove. 1996. 9 addresses. Named for the tree; the street is in the location of the arboretum of John Hitchman’s Hydropathic Establishment which became the Royal Midland Counties Home in St Helens Road. Off Silver Birch Grove (W).
Square Street. 1839. No addresses today. Perhaps named for a market square. Off Clarendon Avenue. A street that led to Covent Garden Market (G).
St Alban’s Close. DATE. 7 addresses. Probably in memory of St Albans Church in Warwick Street which was demolished about 1960. Off Old Milverton Road (E or K).
St Alban’s House. 1968. The building on the site of St Albans Church which was demolished about 1960. Warwick Street (G).
St Andrew’s Road. 1954. 53 addresses. Named for Scottish saint in memory of the landowner Mr McGregor. Off Montrose Avenue, Lillington (D).
St Ann’s Close. About 1964 to 1968. 12 addresses. Place in Pembrokeshire. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham (Z).
St Bride’s Close. About 1964 to 1968. 22 addresses. Place in Pembrokeshire. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham (Z).
St David’s Close. About 1964 to 1968. 13 addresses. Place in Pembrokeshire. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham (Z).
St Fremund Way. 1998. 70 addresses. Relates to St Fremund, a ninth century saint who, according to legend, made his way along Rad Brook to the Holy Well after being injured in battle at Radford Semele. Off Chesterton Drive (Z).
St George’s Road. 1854. 50 addresses. Probably named for the patron saint of England. Off Tachbrook Road (W).
St Govan’s Close. 1965. 12 addresses. Place in Pembrokeshire. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham (Z).
St Helen’s Road. 1864. 52 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Tachbrook Road. Originally continued east of Brunswick Street but this part was renamed Grosvenor Road in about 1953 (W).
St James’ Meadow Road. DATE. 30 addresses. Named for the parish church in Old Milverton. Off Old Milverton Road (E).
St James Place.
St John’s Road. 1852. 8 addresses. Demolished in 1967 and soon rebuilt. Named for the church in Tachbrook Street. Off Shrubland Street (W).
St John’s Terrace. After 1834. 8 addresses. Named for the nearby church. A terrace in Tachbrook Street (W).
St Luke’s Cottages. Demolished 1955 in Augusta Place.
St Margaret’s Road. 1952. 57 addresses. Named for the parish church of Whitnash. Off Brunswick Street (X).
St Mark’s Mews. 01. 1895. Proposed name for the mews road which is now Cliffe Road. Named for St Marks Church. Off Rugby Road (E).
St Mark’s Mews. 02. DATE after 1973. 10 addresses. Named for St Marks Church. Off St Marks Road (E).
St Mark’s Road. 1879. 33 addresses. Named for St Marks Church. Off Rugby Road (E).
St Marks church is Listed Grade II* and the lychgate and Old Vicarage are Listed Grade II,
St Mary’s Court. DATE. Named for St Marys Church. Flats off Radford Road (S or Y).
St Mary’s Crescent. 1854. 51 addresses. Named for St Marys Church. Off Chesham Street; the vehicle access from Radford Road has been closed (Y).
St Mary’s Place. 1850 to 1891. Named for St Marys Church. A row of houses on the east side of St Marys Road (Y).
St Mary’s Road. 1838. 200 addresses. Named for St Marys Church. Off Leam Terrace (Y).
The following are Listed Grade II, St Mary’s Church, Nos 13, 15, 17 and 17A (Astral Lodge).
St Mary’s Terrace. 1863. 10 addresses. Named for St Marys Church. Off St Marys Road (Y).
St Paul’s Court. 1975. Named for St Pauls Church. Willes Road (??)
St Paul’s Square. 1975. 41 addresses. Built when the area to the east of Lansdowne Street was redeveloped. Named for St Pauls Church. Off Queen Street (I).
St Peter’s Convent. About 1827. The building of the original convent is now part of St Peters School. The convent moved to Milverton Terrace when the school expanded. Named for St Peters Church. Augusta Place (M). It is Listed Grade II with the name Windsor Cottage.
St Peter’s Road. 1899. No addresses. Named for St Peters Church. Off Bedford Street. Originally a mews road for Dormer Place; a nearby parallel street was named Portland Road but that was used as site of a multi-storey car park (M).
Stamford Court. 1863. About 6 houses. Possibly named for the town in Lincolnshire. A court off Rugby Road. It became Stamford Place at the request of the residents in 1880. Demolished and replaced by Stamford Gardens about 1961. See also Barratt Place and Court and Garden Place and Court (G).
Stamford Gardens. 1961. 74 addresses. Possibly named for the town in Lincolnshire. Rugby Road (G). Block of flats built on the site of Barratt Place, Garden Place and Stamford Place.
Stamford Place. 1863. About 6 houses. Possibly named for the town in Lincolnshire or a nearby pub. Originally named as Stamford Court off Rugby Road (G). It became Stamford Place at the request of the residents in 1880. Demolished and replaced by Stamford Gardens about 1961. See also Barratt Place and Court and Garden Place and Court. A nearby pub in Rugby Road, opened in 1833, was named the Stamford and Warrington Arms.
Standlake Mews. About 1975 to 1978. 12 addresses. Possibly named for place in Oxfordshire. Off Lambourn Crescent, Sydenham (Z).
Stanford Place. Before 1885. Possibly named for Stanford Hall in Leicestershire. A terrace in Heath Terrace (F).
Stanley Street. 1875. Some confusion about this; probably a proposal to rename Grove Place or Grove Street which was not implemented.
Stanley’s Court. 1971. 16 addresses. Named for farmer at Sydenham Farm. Shops, Sydenham Drive (Z).
Stanley’s Lane. Before 1800, DATE. Named for farmer at Sydenham Farm. Originally name for part of what is now named Sydenham Drive; access to Sydenham Farm (Z).
Stanton Road. About 1970 to 1975. No addresses; access to other streets. Origin unknown. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham (Z).
Stark Street. One reference found to this street off Bath Place in 1842 (R).
Station Approach. 1846. 31 addresses. Named for the railway station. Off Avenue Road (R).
Staunton Road. 1952. 23 addresses. Probably named for the father-in-law of Matthew Wise who lived at Longbridge Manor; Staunton’s extensive collection of historical material about Warwickshire was destroyed by fire at Birmingham Free Library in 1879. Off St Margaret’s Road (X).
Stephenson Close. 1980 to 1990. 32 addresses. Possibly named for a borough engineer or surveyor. Off Old Milverton Road (E).
Stidfall Grove. About 1970 to 1975. 3 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Danesbury Crescent, Sydenham (Z).
Stirling Avenue. 1955. 107 addresses. Scottish for landowner, McGregor. Off Telford Avenue, Lillington (D). A significant length of the street is in Cubbington.
Stockton Grove. 1981. 56 addresses. Named for the village near Southam. Off Whitacre Road (I).
Stoneway Grove. About 1970 to 1975. 14 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham (Z).
Strachey Avenue. 1980s. DATE. 20 addresses. Named for Lytton Strachey, author, pupil at Leamington College. Off College Road (B).
Strange’s Court. Before 1852. Possibly named for the owner. Off Park Street. Demolished (H).
Stratford Place. One mention in 1816. Location not found
Strathearn Road. 1838. 36 addresses. Place in Perthshire, Scotland. Off Rugby Road (F).
Streamside. One mention in 1975. Not found
Stretton Crescent. 1953. 49 addresses. Probably named for Stretton-on-Dunsmore in Warwickshire. Off Lawford Road (X).
Stud Farm. 1919. Sydney McGregor bought the farm from the Wise family in 1919 and used it for rearing racehorses. The farm was south of Cubbington Road (J). The name is used for the housing estate which was built on the land.
Styles Close. 1970s, DATE. 70 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Davidson Avenue on the land of Warneford hospital (Y).
Sudbury Close. 1972. 8 addresses. Named for the town in Suffolk. Off Hanworth Close, Lillington (J).
Suffolk Street. 1871. 26 addresses. Named for the county. Off Leicester Street (I).
Swadling Street. 1931. 20 addresses. Named for the Councillor who served around 1925. Off Lee Road, Shrubland estate (V).
Swain Crofts. About 1978 to 1982. 41 addresses. Possibly refers to Swain’s Buildings in Kenilworth Street. Off Emmott Drive, Sydenham (Z)
Swain’s Buildings. 1839; demolished from 1903. Probably named for owner. Off Kenilworth Street (H). Birthplace of Private Henry Tandey, holder of the Victoria Cross; there is a Blue Plaque remembering this in Kenilworth Street.
Swan Street. 1835. 8 addresses. Probably named at the same time as The Swan Inn, a pub on the corner with Clarendon Street. Off Clarendon Street (I).
Sydenham Drive. 1964. 25 addresses. This street took over and extended Stanley’s Lane. Named for Sydenham farm. Off Radford Road (Z).
Sydenham Estate. 1964. Named for nearby Sydenham farm (Y and Z).