Articles with the tag: 1950s Leamington


The Lewin Brothers: A Life in Music

The Lewin Brothers: A Life in Music

Robert and William Lewin were born in 1913 & 1918 respectively, the two younger sons of Caroline and Harry Lewin, who was killed at Passchendaele at the end of July 1917.  Caroline subsequently married again, and went on to have a second family of three daughters,...
Feldon School

Feldon School

Feldon School was set up at Milverton Hill by Dr J.L. and Mrs S.A. Matthews in the summer of 1950.  They had taken over a small private school, ‘Ardmore’ based at 69 Willes Road/corner of Leam Terrace in September 1948, when Ardmore’s previous owners left to run a...
Raymond Pullin, Leamington Stonemason

Raymond Pullin, Leamington Stonemason

  The best known name for stonemasonry in this area is Pullin.  The business, situated in High Street next to the railway bridge, still bears the Pullin name even though there is no longer a family connection. George Pullin started the business in 1875 in...
The Wise Hall, St John the Baptist Church

The Wise Hall, St John the Baptist Church

The Wise Hall St John’s Parochial Hall (aka ‘The Wise Hall’)  was built originally by Dr. John Hitchman. It was used by him as a place of worship for people connected with his  Arboretum Hydropathic Hospital which opened close by in 1862.  After the...
Bath Place School in the 1940s

Bath Place School in the 1940s

History Group Member Jeff Clarke was a pupil at Bath Place School just after WW2, until he left to take up an Apprenticeship at Henry Griffiths’ jewellery factory at the age of 15. He recorded these reminiscences of his school days with Margaret Rushton. He remembers...