Articles with the tag: All People


Pioneers of Esperanto in Leamington Spa

Pioneers of Esperanto in Leamington Spa

Dr L L Zamenhof© Esperanto is the most widely spoken constructed international auxiliary language. It was created in 1887 by Dr Ludwig Lazare  Zamenhof (1859-1917), an idealistic opthalmologist of Polish- Jewish extraction,  and its first adepts lived in the then...
E Francis & Sons, Bath Street

E Francis & Sons, Bath Street

Until about 1790 Bath Street was the site of an orchard with a few cottages and outbuildings. William Abbotts discovered Leamington’s second spring on the land adjoining the former Bath Hotel, where he built the first hot and cold baths, demolished in 1867 by...
A Gallery of Blue Plaques in Leamington

A Gallery of Blue Plaques in Leamington

Here are the 27 blue plaques and one of another colour which have been put in place in Leamington so far. Plaques for John Cundall, architect, and Henry Maudslay, Dambuster pilot,  were unveiled in July 2017. For most of them it is possible to click on the image of...
Castle Brewery

Castle Brewery

This is a summary of a Research Paper which may be viewed by Clicking Here Long before the subject brewery coexisted with a hotel, the Brunswick Street premises were known as the Castle Tavern and – according to an 1816 entry in the licensed victuallers’ records – its...
Alderman Henry Bright JP, 1817 -1904

Alderman Henry Bright JP, 1817 -1904

Henry Bright was born in Sheffield in 1817, where his father Isaac and uncle Philip, were in business as Goldsmiths. Mr Isaac Bright opened a shop on the Parade in Leamington Priors 1831, – one of the first in the New Town, where he traded until shortly before...