E Francis & Sons, Bath Street

E Francis & Sons, Bath Street

Until about 1790 Bath Street was the site of an orchard with a few cottages and outbuildings. William Abbotts discovered Leamington’s second spring on the land adjoining the former Bath Hotel, where he built the first hot and cold baths, demolished in 1867 by...
Warwick Brewery

Warwick Brewery

This page is a Summary of a Research Paper which can be viewed HERE (pdf document) The Leamington History Group is pleased to publish the fruits of this research because some of the ale brewed in Wallace Street, Saltisford, Warwick was imbibed in Leamington Spa. The...
Castle Brewery

Castle Brewery

This is a summary of a Research Paper which may be viewed by Clicking Here Long before the subject brewery coexisted with a hotel, the Brunswick Street premises were known as the Castle Tavern and – according to an 1816 entry in the licensed victuallers’ records – its...
Alderman Henry Bright JP, 1817 -1904

Alderman Henry Bright JP, 1817 -1904

Henry Bright was born in Sheffield in 1817, where his father Isaac and uncle Philip, were in business as Goldsmiths. Mr Isaac Bright opened a shop on the Parade in Leamington Priors 1831, – one of the first in the New Town, where he traded until shortly before...