The Bandstand is Back!

The Bandstand is Back!

On Saturday, 15 March 2019, the newly renovated Pump Room Gardens Bandstand was opened officially by Councillor Steven Cross, Chairman of Warwick District Council and Archie Pitts, who masterminded the Heritage Lottery Fund bid to refurbish the Pump Room Gardens. The...
Ranelagh Gardens

Ranelagh Gardens

Ranelagh Gardens, “The Vauxhall of Leamington,” 1811-1846   Leamington’s ten acre Ranelagh Gardens were situated in old town over the canal bridge in Brunswick Street. No doubt named in imitation of the famous Ranelagh Gardens in London, Leamington’s...
Blondin: A High time in the Pump Room Gardens

Blondin: A High time in the Pump Room Gardens

  The fashionable town of Leamington Spa attracted a host of big-name performers from all branches of the Victorian entertainment industry. One of those who came here was the world renowned tightrope walker Charles Blondin. Exactly 150 years ago the great Blondin...
The Dell

The Dell

  The Dell is a small public open space below street level in the Leamington suburb of Milverton. It is bounded by Warwick Terrace, Beauchamp Hill, the rear of Albany Terrace and Warwick Street / Warwick Place, opposite the venerable Star and Garter public house....
Copper Beech Tree – Jephson Gardens, 1846 – 2013

Copper Beech Tree – Jephson Gardens, 1846 – 2013

This large copper beech tree stood in Jephson Gardens, close to the Davis Clock, for almost 170 years.  According to Leamington History Group member Robin Stott, the tree dates back as far as the late 1840s when Edward Willes’ Newbold Gardens were remodelled and...