The Streets of Leamington beginning with C
Note. A typical entry lists the date of the street, the number of buildings or addresses, the origin of the name and finally the location of the street. Please refer to the page entitled Streets of Leamington for more information.
Calder Walk. Name agreed 1969. 40 addresses. Possibly a place name in Scotland. Off Chesterton Drive, Sydenham.
Camberwell Terrace. 1887. 52 addresses. Place name in south London. Off Radford Road.
Cambray Cottages. Before 1934. Possibly named for a feature in Cheltenham (a successful Spa before Leamington). In Gulistan Road.
Cambridge Gardens. 1964. 9 flats. City name. Flats which replaced No 72 Upper Holly Walk.
Cameron Close. 1954. 22 addresses. Scottish estate. Off Montrose Avenue on McGregor’s land.
Campion Green. 1930. 20 addresses. John Campion (1776 -1826) was the farmer at Newbold Comyn Farm. Off Campion Road.
Campion Road. 1866. 64 addresses. John Campion (1776 -1826) was the farmer at Newbold Comyn Farm. Road properly made 1889, to brickworks. Off Lillington Road.
Campion Terrace. On map but unnamed in 1838; named before 1857. 52 addresses. John Campion (1776 -1826) was the farmer at Newbold Comyn Farm. Leicester Street to Upper Holly Walk.
Canberra Mews. 2014. 23 homes. Named as tribute to Sir Frank Whittle, inventor of the jet engine. The Canberra was a jet-engined medium bomber. Off Road.
Canning Street. Before 1849. Leopard Inn, pub on corner with Court Street, otherwise houses of Buchanan Street backed on to this street. Origin unknown. Alternative name (or mistake) for Cumming Street. Off Althorpe Street.
Carlton House. 1971. 34 flats. Origin unknown. Corner of Dale Street and Regent Street. Built on the site of a demolished Listed Grade II building.
Cashmore Avenue. 1919. 25 homes. George Cashmore, Mayor 1918. Initially named New Road. Council houses 1930. Off Tachbrook Road.
Caswell Road. 1965. 6 business addresses. Origin unknown. Off Berrington Road, Sydenham commercial.
Cecil Court. Before 1974. About 15 flats. Origin unknown. Flats in Mill Road.
Cedar Close. 1954. 16 addresses. Possibly named for trees in the area. Off Lime Avenue.
Cedar House. About 2002. Probably named for the tree. Lucas Court, Warwick New Road.
Cemetery Road. Before 1891. Alongside cemetery. Possibly renamed Albert Street. Off Old Milverton Road. TO BE CONFIRMED
Central Avenue. 1925. 16 homes. Centre street of first council house estate in town. Initially named Centre Road off Tachbrook Road.
Chandos Court. 1990. 49 flats at No 40 Chandos Street. Probably named for Mr Chandos Leigh who became Lord Leigh in 1829.
Chandos Street. From 1828. 71 addresses. Mostly demolished 1956 to 1966. Probably named for Mr Chandos Leigh who became Lord Leigh in 1829. Off Warwick Street.
Chapel Court. About 1991. Conversion of St Luke’s Chapel, Hamilton Terrace to offices; received Coventry Telegraph Award. St Luke’s built in 1849, architect Daniel Squirhill.
Chapel Cross. DATE. Probably named for Roman Catholic chapel of St Peter in nearby George Street of 1828. Corner Church Street and Chapel Street; previously site of Guernsey Garage.
Chapel Street. From 1830. 21 addresses. Probably named for Roman Catholic chapel of St Peter in nearby George Street of 1828. Off Church Street.
Chapman’s Court. Before 1852. Probably owned by a Mr Chapman, who may have been the owner. Off Brook Street. Now demolished.
Charlbury Mews. 1977. 9 houses. Place in Oxfordshire. Off Lambourne Crescent, Sydenham.
Charlecote Gardens. 1989. 23 addresses. Local Charlecote Park, stately home. Off Marlborough Drive, Sydenham.
Charles Gardner Road. 1964. 76 addresses. Named for Charles W Gardner, Mayor 1944 to 1945. New street and homes replaced parts of Shrubland Street and Scotland Place.
Charles Street. Before 1837. Origin unknown. Slums demolished 1956. Off Neilston Street, Althorpe Street. Business premises.
Charles Watson Court. 1978. 39 addresses. Possibly named for Charles Watson Mill who was proprietor of Theatre Royal 1910-1934. Off Shuckburgh Grove.
Charlotte Street. 1818. 137 addresses. Named for Charlotte of Mecklinberg-Strelitz (1744-1818), Queen of George III, or Princess Charlotte (1796-1817), only daughter of King George IV (her death led to Victoria becoming Queen). Off Brunswick Street.
The south side was built in stages as Claremont House land was sold off.
Nos 7 to 19 (odds), 46 and 48 are Listed Grade II.
The first houses on the north side were named South Parade; this caused confusion with the street also named South Parade that became Clarendon Avenue in 1881.
Charnwood Way. 1972. 62 addresses. Forest mainly in Leicestershire. Off Parklands Avenue, Lillington.
Chatsworth Gardens. About 1986 to 1990. 15 homes. Stately home. Off Beaulieu Park, Sydenham
Chesham Place. Before 1871. The town or Lord Chesham. Alley south side of John Street off Bedford Street. Demolished DATE..
Chesham Street. 1871. 37 addresses. Named for town or Lord Chesham. Off St Mary’s Crescent. Previously simply named as a Mews Road.
Chesham Terrace. 1877. Named for town or Lord Chesham. Demolished 1969. Alongside canal off Chesham Street.
Chester Place. Before 1870. No record after 1873. Place name. Off Clarendon Avenue.
Chesterton Drive. About 1980 to 1986. 19 addresses. Local village. Off Sydenham Drive.
Chestnut Gardens. 1993. Tree name. Original name proposed for Chestnut Square. Off Gresham Place.
Chestnut Square. Proposal 1993. 41 addresses. Tree name. Originally to be named as Chestnut Gardens. Off Gresham Place.
Cheviot Rise. 1972. 14 addresses. Range of hills. Off Parklands Avenue.
Chorlton Court. Before 1973. Origin unknown. 15 flats, Nos 75-87 Binswood Avenue.
Christ Church Gardens. 1829. Named for church demolished in 1957. Plans to retain the church tower or to build a block of flats or offices designed by Sir Frederick Gibberd, not implemented. Earlier named Newbold Square or Beauchamp Square/Gardens. Off Clarendon Avenue. Used as gardens and tennis courts.
Christine Ledger Square. 1970. 75 addresses. Christine James Ledger, Mayor 1961-62. 75 buildings. Off Brunswick Street
Church Hill. 1828. 60 addresses. Named for Pepper Box Chapel/Church. Extension from the west end of Regent Street.
Church Lane, Leamington Priors. Early name for Church Street. Church of All Saints from before 1100; church Listed Grade II*. From High Street to Priory Terrace.
Church Lane, Lillington. Before 1711. 19 addresses. Church of St Mary Magdalene from before 1100; church Listed Grade II*. Manor House Listed Grade II. Off Lillington Road.
Church Street. Earlier Church Lane. Parish church founded before 1100. 37 addresses. All Saints Church Grade II*. Commonwealth Club, Nos 5 to 17 (odds) Listed Grade II. Off High Street.
Church Terrace. 1828. 14 addresses. Church of All Saints. Nos 4 and 6 Listed Grade II. Off Church Street
Church Walk. Before 1813. 4 business addresses. See Church Street. Nos 1-4 Listed Grade II. Off Bath Street.
Clapham Road. 1904. Early name for Clapham Street. Possibly Clapham family of Stockton or an area of London. Off Clapham Terrace.
Clapham Square. 1887. 20 addresses. Origin see Clapham Road. Off Clapham Terrace.
Clapham Street. 1904. 20 addresses. Origin see Clapham Road. Off Clapham Terrace.
Clapham Terrace. Street laid out about 1800 for access to canal. 106 addresses. Building from 1857. Possibly Clapham family of Stockton or an area of London. Off Radford Road.
Clare Close. About 1955. 47 addresses. Unknown origin. Off Buckley Road
Claremont Road. 1871. 49 addresses. Claremont House between Charlotte Street and Claremont Road on Tachbrook Road; perhaps reference to a country house in Surrey. 41 buildings. House on corner with Tachbrook Road has date 1871 on the wall.
Clarence Mansions. Renamed DATE. 33 addresses. This name dates from before 2001. Recent name for Clarence Terrace (1827) after renovation. Origin of name, see Clarence Street.
Clarence Street. From 1835. 3 addresses; the main one is Aga Rangemaster at Eagle Foundry. Duke of Clarence who became William IV. Site of Eagle foundry of 1835 which was from 1856 well-known as Sidney Flavel’s. Off Brunswick Street.
Clarence Terrace. 1827. 33 addresses. Nos 1-6 Grade II. Recently named Clarence Mansions after renovation. Origin of name, see Clarence Street. Designer Joseph Nevil(le). Oddfellows Hall has been at the east end since 1831. Warwick Street.
Clarendon Avenue. Started 1820. 174 addresses. Earl of Clarendon. Named South Parade until 1881. 3 telephone boxes type K6 and No 2 are Listed Grade II. Off Clarendon Square to Clarendon Street.
Clarendon Crescent. 1825. 30 addresses. One source states that it was built as Bertie Circus but may not be accurate CHECK. Earl of Clarendon. Nos 1-9 Listed Grade II. No 6 has a Blue Plaque for William de Normanville (1843-1928), borough engineer from 1882 to 1917; noted for installing iron bridges in town. Off Beauchamp Hill.
Clarendon Place. From 1825. 51 addresses. Initially also the name for what is now Binswood Street. Named for Earl of Clarendon. Bethany Home, Somerset House and Nos 1, 3 and 12 are Listed Grade II. Warwick Street to Clarendon Square. See also Arbenie Crescent and Waterloo Place.
Clarendon Square. From 1818. 192 addresses. Earl of Clarendon. South-side designed by PF Robinson. Nos 3-10, 12-17, 25-30, 25A, 32-43, Arden House, Magnolia House and Binswood Lawn are Listed Grade II. Blue plaque for Napoleon III at No 6. Off Clarendon Avenue.
Clarendon Street. Before 1810. 147 addresses. Earl of Clarendon. Earlier was part of Lillington Lane. Nos 29, 80, 87, 103 and 105 are Listed Grade II. Off Holly Walk.
Clemens Street. 1808. 105 addresses. Named for Samuel Clemens, businessman and landowner of Warwick. Nos 4, 6, 34, 36, 62, 64 and 66 are Listed Grade II. Off High Street.
Cleveland Court, Before 1973. 20 flats. Origin unknown. Nos 41-43 Kenilworth Road.
Cliffe Court. 1964. 21 addresses. Named after Guys Cliffe, home of the Greatheed family. Corner of Rugby Road and Guys Cliffe Avenue.
Cliffe Road. Before 1887. 19 addresses. Named after Guys Cliffe, home of Greatheed family. Originally a mews road. Rugby Road to Beverley Road.
Clifton Court. Name agreed in 1959 for blocks of 12 flats in Beaconsfield Street. Possibly named for Clifton-on-Dunsmore. St Mary’s Road.
Clinton Street. Before 1834. 4 addresses. Origin unknown. Off Church Terrace.
Cloister Crofts. Short length off Kenilworth Road in 1890. Extended with houses from 1923. 42 addresses. Probably from a mistaken legend that monks used the track from Kenilworth Priory to Lillington Church. A faded painted sign states THE Cloister Crofts.
Cloister Way. 1937. 70 addresses. See Cloister Crofts. Off Cloister Crofts.
Close, The. See The Close.
Coach House Mews. About 1888. Probably named for a coach-house on the site. Off Arlington Avenue (previously Street).
Cobden Avenue. About 1982 to 1986. 41 addresses. Named for Richard Cobden, protester against corn laws in 1860s, apostle of free trade, and who may have campaigned from Leamington. Off Chesterton Drive, Sydenham.
Cockermouth Close. 1965. 14 addresses. Place in Cumbria. Off Borrowdale Drive.
Colbourne Grove. About 1985. 6 homes. Earlier proposed name was Colbourne Drive. Named for a partner in the Burgis and Colbourne department store (now House of Fraser for the time being). Off Lamintone Drive, Beverley Hills.
College Drive. Soon after 1988. 15 houses. Built on the playing field of Leamington College. Off Woodcote Road.
College Road. DATE. Named for Leamington College for Boys, Binswood Avenue; occasional name used for Beauchamp Road, perhaps only for an anniversary of the college. Off Binswood Avenue.
Colonnade (The). See Victoria Colonnade.
Compton Close. About 1955. 30 addresses. Possibly named for Fenny Compton or Denis Compton, a Test cricketer. Off Wellington Road.
Comyn Street. 1862. About 37 houses in 1950; 14 houses in 2019. Named for Newbold Comyn. Original hoses demolished about 1973; new houses built 1977. Part of a new street off Princes Street carries the name.
Conifer Grove. About 1986. 8 addresses. Named for a tree in the arboretum on the site of Hitchman’s hydropathic establishment. Off Wych Elm Grove.
Coningsby Close. About 1970 to 1975. 12 addresses. Place name, Lincolnshire. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.
Coniston Road. 1955. 92 addresses. Lake in Cumbria. Off Guys Cliffe Avenue.
Conway Road. 1970. 14 addresses. Earlier named Cross Road. Possibly named for the town in North Wales. Houses built from 1970. Off Oswald Road.
Copps Road. Before 1996. 41 addresses. Michael Copps of Copps Royal Hotel, High Street (1827-1847). Off Warwick New Road.
Cornwall Place. 1879. 21 addresses. Name of county. Off Rugby Road.
Corston Mews. About 1975 to 1978. 9 addresses. Possibly the village in Somerset. Off Lambourn Crescent, Sydenham.
Cosford Close. 1959. 15 homes. Place in Shropshire. Off Newnham Road.
Cottage Close. 1969. 16 homes. Possibly named for cottages by Sydenham Farm. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.
Cottage Square. About 2002. 20 addresses. Possibly named for cottages by Sydenham Farm. Off Marloes Walk. Near Sydni Centre which was built on site of a primary school.
Cottage Walk. About 2002. 18 addresses. Possibly named for cottages by Sydenham Farm. Off Cottage Square. Near Sydni Centre.
Coughton Drive. About 1986 to 1990. 28 addresses. Probably named for Coughton Court, a National Trust house near Alcester. Off Marlborough Drive, Sydenham.
Court Street. 1808. 32 business addresses. Leopard Inn and Oak Tavern in the street at some time. Perhaps named for Richard Court, a local farmer. Houses demolished 1968. Business premises. Off High Street.
Courts Home Close. See Home Close.
Coventry Street. 1843. Place name. Early name for the new road to Kenilworth (renamed Kenilworth Road from 1879). Off Clarendon Avenue.
Covent Garden Market. 1827. Probably named for the market in London. Demolished 1969 to 1979; replaced mainly by car parking. Off Warwick Street.
Cowdray Close. About 1969.48 addresses. Possibly the cricketer Colin Cowdray or, more likely, a polo venue. Off Sydenham Drive.
Crabtree Grove. About 1968 to 1970. 11 addresses. Refers to crab apple trees. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.
Crabtree Lane. Before 1783. Refers to crab apple trees. Early name for Upper Holly Walk; evidently, it is now more noted for Holly bushes.
Craig Close. About 1978 to 1982. 7 addresses. Named for Rev John Craig at All Saints church from 1839 to 1877. Off Emmott Drive, Sydenham.
Crawford Close. 1953. 31 addresses. Scottish estate. Off St Andrews Road.
Creaking Hill. Before 1872. Early name for all or part of Hill Street. Off Leicester Street.
Cricket Street. Proposal in 1873 as the name for the street which became Archery Road. Named for the sport. Off Adelaide Road.
Cromer Road. Before 1936. 21 addresses. Seaside town in Norfolk. Off Valley Road.
Cross Leam Street. This was the name of part of Leam Street before renaming in 1873. Named for the river. Off St Marys Road.
Cross Road. Before 1879. 20 addresses. A name for a street which simply went across other streets. Initially a Mews Road. The west part was renamed Conway Road. Houses from before 1928. Off Oswald Road.
Cross Street 01. The street built from 1815 which was renamed Regent Street in 1819 when Prince Regent visited. A name for a street which simply went across other streets, in this case primarily the Parade. It was earlier renamed as Lower Cross Street when the street parallel to the north was named Upper Cross Street for a short time (Warwick Street).
Cross Street 02. The street presently named Cross Street which was initially a Mews Road (built from 1838). 20 addresses. A name for a street which simply went across other streets. Off Clarendon Street.
Crowden Drive. After 2006. 24 addresses. Memory of Charles Thomas Crowden, car-maker about 1890s; moved from Bath to Packington Place from 1898 to 1905. Off Lillington Road.
Crown Terrace. DATE. 19 addresses. Adjoined the east side of the Crown Hotel and at one time the hotel was built across the street at first floor level. Off High Street.
Crown Way. 1954. 118 addresses. Origin related to the Coronation in 1953. Off Cubbington Road.
Cubbington Road. Before 1711. 230 addresses. Turnpike to Cubbington. Earlier name Great Churchway. Off Lillington Road.
Culworth Close. 1975. 83 addresses. Place near Sulgrave Manor in Northamptonshire. Off Tachbrook Road.
Culworth Court. 1975. About 9 flats. Place near Sulgrave Manor in Northamptonshire. Culworth Close.
Cumberland Crescent. 1972. 29 addresses. One-time county name. Off Parklands Avenue.
Cumming Street. Before 1849. Leopard Inn, pub on corner with Court Street, otherwise houses of Buchanan Street backed on to this street. Alternative and more usual name for Canning Street. Origin unknown. Off Court Street.
Cundall Close. About 1978 to 1982. 8 addresses. John Cundall was a local architect, perhaps best known for the Town Hall; Blue plaque at No 47 Warwick Street. Off Emmott Drive, Sydenham.29 addresses.
Curzon Grove. About 1970 to 1975. 20 addresses. Perhaps family name in north Warwickshire. Off Gainsborough Drive, Sydenham.